Here are some amazing facts about the Bible
- The Bible was written by around forty different people from different backgrounds, from kings, prophets, and writers to fishermen, shepherds, and prisoners
- The Bible was written during a period of 1,600 years. That’s about forty generations
- The first division into chapters was made in 1238 due to which The Bible contains 1189 chapters consisting of about 31,102 verses.
- The longest book in the Bible is Psalms and the shortest is 3 John
- The Bible is the most sold and most translated book in the world and the most shoplifted.The Bible, or parts of it, is available in 2,508 different languages
- The shortest verse in the Bible is John 11:35 while the longest verse is Esther 8:9
- The Bible was printed in 1454 A.D. by Johannes Gutenberg (pictured above) who invented the “type mold” for the printing press. It was the first book ever printed.
- The entire New Testament as we know it today, was canonized before the year 375 A.D. The Old Testament had previously been canonized long before the advent of Christ.
- The Bible was written in three languages: Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek
- Almost all biblical scholars agree that the New Testament documents were all written before the close of the First Century. If Jesus was crucified in 30 A.D., then that means that the entire New Testament was completed within 70 years.
- There are presently 5,686 Greek manuscripts in existence today for the New Testament.If we were to compare the number of New Testament manuscripts to other ancient writings, the next highest is 643 copies of Homer(Iliad)
- In addition to the Greek copies there are over 19,000 copies in the Syriac, Latin, Coptic, and Aramaic languages. The total supporting New Testament manuscript base is over 24,000.
- The Dead Sea Scrolls which were discovered in Qumran contain some of the oldest fragments and manuscripts of the Old Testament and are called the greatest manuscript discovery of modern times
- The Bible today is the best-selling book ever and 50 bibles are sold every minute.